Monday, March 25, 2013

To my not-so-imaginary friend:


Next time I see you, will be the first.

That makes it sound like I hardly know you. But don’t worry. I do.

I know you’re funny because I laugh longer than anyone I know. And the extra 5 seconds is yours.

I know you’re tall because I’m tall. And my brother should be taller than me .

I know you have lots to say because I’m always getting tongue tied, and I know you try to mix your thoughts with mine.

I know it’s you because when I can’t go on, I receive a breath of hope that could only come from an angel.


I know it’s you because I was miraculously fine. And brothers are protective.

Next time I see you, will be the first. We’ll probably laugh and cry. And never wanting to leave your side, we'll finally walk together.

Yes we’ll walk with a walk that is measured and slow. *

Until then, tell Papa and Hailey how much I love them.


Dear David,
            It’s not fair. You should be here. You should be in the room next to mine. I’m so sorry that you’re not. I hope you know that it’s only because you’re special. You are too special to have to live in a place like this. Sometimes, I think about you. I think about you and cry. I cry and cry and make believe how things would have been different with you. But for now, I look forward to the day when I can finally meet the one who never left my side. And I’ll know that it’s you. That it was always you. My brother. I love you.


P.S. Thanks for the hug today.

I think sis will need one tomorrow.


*Where the Sidewalk Ends- Shel Silverstein

5 comments:

  1. Your honesty is what makes this so beautiful. Thank you for sharing something as special as this. It means a lot to some of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are beautiful. I want to comment on all of these.

    ReplyDelete