Monday, March 18, 2013

Do you like me? (check yes or no)


Maybe it’s because of the way he carries his sister on his shoulders.
Or how after our first kiss, he ran away terrified.

But I'm thinking it's from getting nervous around him 13 years later.

Maybe it’s because we spent our childhood in a place where the rain washed away our mistakes through the night. 
Or that even though I only see him once a year, he just keeps getting better.

 But it's most likely because of that time when we were 10, and instead of making normal cookies, we spilt the dough and made two giant ones just for us.



Maybe it’s because of the way he makes me feel small. 
Or how he saved me from the bad guys countless times.

But it's probably from when he put his arm around me in front of everyone.

Maybe it’s because of the frosty he brought me when I was 7… after he broke my nose.
Or it could be that even when we don’t talk for months, I have nothing to worry about.

But it must be that our families want us to be together as much as I do.


Maybe it’s because our distance doesn’t faze us. 
Or that it all just comes from that heart he drew me.

But I think it's mostly because he would chase the car every time we drove away.

Maybe it’s because he’s 6’9’’. 
Or that we always had water fights as an excuse to tackle each other.

Maybe it's because he’s constant.


It’s because I fell in love with him when I could still see the boa and elephant.
It’s because when I’m around him, I can see the boa and elephant.


"Cause you make me feel so young"
<3

6 comments:

  1. wow, this was it! this is what I was looking for. it was everything and nothing at the same time. "Maybe it’s because he would chase the car every time we drove away."
    I simply loved it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just like the innocence of it all, I guess. I mean, I really, really like this.

    And I also like the specifics.

    "Maybe it’s because of the frosty he brought me when I was 7… after he broke my nose."

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES. That's really all I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really frustrated right now because I'm writing this on my iPad and I just lost what I wrote.

    Grrrrrrr.r..

    I don't want to start over, but I will.

    Loved the Little Prince reference/picture/ending.

    And I wanted to give you a suggestion. And I don't often give suggestions, because students don't revise these blog posts and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings and I don't know everything.

    But here's my suggestion: "Maybe it's because" is a great pattern. I love how you keep that pattern throughout the post. The danger is having it sound too repetitive. So my suggestion is to mix in a few sentences where you just start with OR instead of "Maybe it's because" ....then it breaks up the rhythm.

    Power to the people. (If I didn't already say this, I really enjoyed this post. Innocent. Beautiful. Did I say these things already? I can't remember because I've written this freaking comment twice now and if I lose it again I'm going to freak out so I'm just going to click publish now.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're kidding me...
      I just wrote you a novel back. Tried to post it. I wasn't signed in.. POOF Novel gone. I blame your ipad.

      Soo... Anyway. FREAK YA! Thanks for telling me! I was super worried about that, and asked like three people if they thought it was too repetitive. They were all saying.. oh no! It's perfect lalalala I don't want to hurt your feelings lalalala...
      Wrong! Can't people just be honest?

      Thanks for caring enough to give the suggestion. And to write it again.. Worst thing ever. Soo.. Is it legal for me to change it now? Is it weird if I do?? Ya. Well.. I'm gonna.

      Thank you Nelson

      Delete
  5. I'm super entertained by your changing backgrounds. I mean I can't really read anything without highlighting it but it makes you really hipster. You are cool... this is a great post... have a lovely day. I will be back.

    ReplyDelete